xDSD Gryphon from iFi Audio is their newest portable all-in-one! Just like its mythical namesake, it is two beasts in one. The high-res DAC features an ultra-res digital stage, using the Burr-Brown MultiBit at the core, and a powerful amplifier built around their PureWave analog power section which pumps out 1,000mW. It takes serious headphones to tame the Gryphon.
Gryphon is built with independent Bluetooth, DAC, and amp stages. Each is optimized for maximum performance. It features USB and digital SPDIF inputs, 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm single-ended analog inputs, and Qualcomm’s new QCC5100 Bluetooth processing IC in combination with proprietary circuits to create an audibly superior “Bluetooth engine.”
Using the latest QCC 5100 series Bluetooth v5.1 as the starting point for wireless connectivity, the xDSD Gryphon is at the bleeding-edge when it comes to the latest formats:
Additionally, each of the above is on the iFi digital platform where each section is distinct. They have QC5100 for reception > Global Master Clock for jitter > Burr-Brown for DAC conversion. It might take more effort but that’s why Gryphon's wireless gives wired a run for its money.
In terms of wired connectivity, the xDSD Gryphon handles all the formats using a hybrid Burr-Brown DAC chipset, which is the same as the one used in iFi Audio's £3,000 flagship Pro iDSD Signature. Rest assured that all of the following latest formats are not only catered for, but most importantly, are pushed to their zenith.
PCM (192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1 kHz)
The xDSD Gryphon uses PureWave amplification circuitry. It has 1,000mW at 32 Ohms. With a whopping max 6.7v output, bring on the high impedance headphones, because the Gryphon will not break a sweat driving them. This is plenty to drive all manner of headphones. The 4.4mm is the best for balanced playback. The 3.5mm S-Balanced will max SE headphones. Also, your premium high-sensitivity IEMs have not been forgotten either – iEMatch will cut out the hiss.
XSpace - adds back the cavernous soundstage of recordings.
XBass II - reinstates the missing bass from open-backed headphones or for recordings where you hanker for bass slam. Under XBass II, you can select “Bass” and/or “Presence” so that the upper midrange frequencies are correctly added back into your favorite recording.
iEMatch - our proprietary tech which reduces the annoying hiss from high-sensitivity headphones without losing any dynamic range.
With digital sources, users can choose between three bespoke digital filters, via the on-screen menu: Bit-Perfect, Standard, and GTO (Gibbs Transient Optimized). Each one has a fine-tuning effect on sound.
With the OLED display and iFi’s CyberSync operating system combined, they usher in a whole new world of user enjoyment – all information from format to battery life is there. Just as importantly, SilentLine technology means that the display does not add noise into the system. It can even be set to off if preferred.
• iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon
• Cloth bag
• USB Type-C male to Apple Lightning male
• USB Type-C male to USB Type-C male
• USB Type-C male to USB Type-A male
• iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon manual
• iFi warranty cardInput / Output
• Wireless Input: Bluetooth 5.1 (aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, aptX LL, LDAC, HWA, AAC and SBC Codec)
• Wired (digital input): USB-C, S/PDIF co-axial
• Wired (analog input): Balanced 4.4mm, single-ended 3.5mm
• Wired Out: 4.4mm Pentaconn, 3.5mm SE (headphone and line OUT both through front output sockets)Compatible Operating Systems
• Android via USB OTG cable with iOS & Mac via Apple Lightning to USB
• Chipset: TI Burr-Brown
• Power Output (Balanced/SE): 1000mW @32Ω & 74mW(at 6.7v max) @600Ω / 320mW @32Ω & 40mW(at 2.8v max) @600Ω
• Output Impedance: < 1Ω
• SNR (Balanced/SE): 116dB(A) @ 0dBFS / 115dB(A) @ 0dBFS
• THD+N (Balanced/SE): <0.009% @ (6.5mW/2.0v@600Ω) / <0.03% @ (100mW/1.27v@16Ω)
• Line Out THD+N (Balanced/SE): <0.007% @ 0dbFS / <0.015% @ 0dbFS
• Line Out Function Output Impedance (Balanced/SE): ≤200Ω / ≤100Ω
• Power System: USB-C charging. BC1.2 compliant up to 1900mA charging current
• Dimensions: 4.8"(L) x 3.0"(W) x .7"(H)
• Weight: 215g