Enveloped in the Space Blue finish now associated with iFi Audio’s Signature products, the ZEN DAC Signature has been designed to be a DAC, pure and simple. Without the built-in headphone amp, its sole purpose is to feed an external amp, be it a headphone amp, or an amp and speakers. Its simplified circuitry provides the opportunity to upgrade the signal path and critical components within it. The existing ZEN DAC introduced the benefits of fully balanced circuit design but the ZEN DAC Signature further ups the ante with its enhanced true-differential balanced topology.
The ZEN DAC Signature’s digital stage retains the True Native DAC architecture much loved at iFi as it delivers bit-perfect PCM (up to 32-bit/384kHz), native DSD (up to DSD256), DXD and MQA – the hi-res streaming technology, as used by Tidal’s ‘HiFi’ tier. The sample rate of incoming audio data is indicated by a multicoloured LED residing behind the aluminium volume control. The iFi-programmed XMOS chip, which processes data received at the USB input, and jitter-eradicating, audiophile-grade oscillators, contribute to exemplary handling of digital audio signals as they are received, processed and converted to analogue form.
Various key surface-mounted circuit components have been upgraded to high-end devices, including Panasonic OS-CON and Elna Silmic II capacitors. The circuit has been refined to ensure short, direct signal paths for optimal signal purity. This results in even greater sonic detail and expression.
The USB Type B input supports the ‘SuperSpeed’ USB 3.0 standard, as well as USB 2.0 for backwards compatibility. It is asynchronous, meaning that the data rate is regulated solely by the ZEN DAC Signature’s specialized audio clock circuitry for accurate, jitter-free data transfer from the source device. There is a pair of RCA sockets for single-ended connection to an amp, plus a Pentaconn 4.4mm output – this enables balanced signal transfer between compact products that cannot accommodate traditional, bulky XLR connections. When connected to an amp or active speakers equipped with a balanced input – either a 4.4mm Pentaconn input, or stereo XLR inputs via a 4.4mm-to-XLR cable – the full benefit of the ZEN DAC Signature’s balanced circuit design can be heard. It will speak to your soul.
The ZEN DAC Signature works well with the Zen CAN Signature 6XX. The two products can be bought separately but a ‘ZEN Signature Set’ is now available. This comprises both ZEN Signature units plus a high-performance 4.4mm Pentaconn cable to connect them together. When used in tandem, the two ZEN Signatures make a fantastic, desktop-sized headphone system for both digital and analogue sources, further extending the reputation of iFi’s ZEN Series for delivering exceptional performance and versatility at remarkable prices.
• iFi ZEN Dac Signiture
• iFi iPower X 5V PSU
• USB-C to USB-A Audio Cable
• RCA Stereo Interconnects
• 3.5mm to 1/4"(~6.3mm) adapter
• 12 month factory warrantyInput / Output
• USB 3.0 (2.0 Compatible) with MQA Support
• PCM sampling frequency up to 384kHz
• DSD Sampling of 2.8/3.1/5.6/6.2/11.2/12.4MHz
• Balanced XLR 2V / 6.2V max.(variable) 4.2V fixed
• Single Ended Stereo RCA 1V / 3.3V max. (variable) 2.1V fixed
• Bit-Perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown with MQA Support
• SNR: -117dB(A) @0dBFS / THD+N @ 0.0011% Line OUT
• Dynamic Range: -116dB(A)
• Power Consumption (No Signal) ~0.5W (Max Signal) ~2.5W with DC 5V in / 1.5W via USB
• Output Impedance (Line Out Bal/UnBal) 200Ohms / 100Ohms
• Dimensions (W)6.2" x (L)4.6" x (H)1.4" @ / Weight 1.65lbs
• iOS & Mac via Apple Lightening to USB Camera Adapter
• Windows via USB or Android via USB OTG Cable