The STAX SR-L500 MK2 is the new midrange model in STAX’s L-series and offers the same removable cable and upgraded headband of its cousin the SR-L700 MK2. The SR-L500 MK2 uses a well-balanced driver, with the open, airy sound you expect from a STAX headphone.
The SR-L500MK2 models have adopted the cable-exchangeable structure as well as the case holder made from aluminum aiming at user-friendliness and wearing comfort when listening to music.
The exchangeable cable structure of recent trend for high-quality headphone has been employed. This enables the prospective correspondence to a high-definition cable, and the easy maintenance to sudden disconnection, thus improving the user-friendliness of earspeaker.
To the SR-L500MK2 the parallel 6-strand low-capacity HiFC* wide cable is supplied as an accessory. This copper conductor with very small quantity of titanium added features not only superior transmission characteristic, but also excels in softening effect for easy handling.
The change of material has enabled the mechanism design with more high flexibility. In the SR-L500 MK2 models, changing the case holder design from conventional linear style into moderate curve form produces the effect that ear pads fit more naturally on both-sides-of-the-head part. Moreover, the curve form gives high rigidity and prevents from generating unnecessary distortion or twist at the time of wearing, resulting in the great improvement of fit feeling. In an open-air type earspeaker, the degree rise of adhesion at the time of wearing greatly contributes to the improvement of low-frequency reproduction.
● Type: push-pull electrostatic, oval sound element, rear open-air type enclosure
● Frequency response: 7 – 41,000Hz
● Electrostatic capacitance: 110pF (including attached cable)
● Impedance: 145kΩ (including attached cable, at 10kHz)
● Sound pressure sensitivity: 101dB / input 100Vr.m.s. / 1kHz
● Maximum sound pressure level: 118dB / 400Hz
● Bias voltage: 580V DC
● Ear pad: real sheep’s leather (skin-touching portion), high-class artificial leather (surrounding portion)
● Cable: parallel 6-strand, 2.5m full length, low-capacity special wide cable
● Cable conductor: 6N (99.9999%) annealed OFC with silver coating
● Weight: 471g (including attached cable), 351g (without cable)
STAX produce exclusively electrostatic headphones, or “earspeakers” as they call them, in Japan, since 1938. STAX chose the electrostatic technology for its ability to produce transparent sound, and low weight for comfort/ergonomics, both due to the driver design not employing fixed magnets and moving coils, as opposed to other common headphone driver designs. The minimal weight of the driver ensures a very quick response to the signal, creating a more faithful sound reproduction.